Wednesday, November 5, 2008

outside reading #10

After listening to John McCain's concession speech last night, I decided to take a closer look at it. I read his whole concession speech to really understand what he was saying.
Throughout the speech he talks about how this campaign has been so long and difficult. This is completely true. This campaign has gotten so many peoples attention because of the direction our country has been going in for the past couple of years. McCain also talks about the respect he has for Obama. He talks about how Obama inspired the hopes of so many people, by reminding them that hey do have a voice in the election and that every voice counts. I do believe that every vote counts and that everyone should get out there and have their voice heard, but I wont even get into how I believe the electoral votes take away from the people. I also liked how McCain urged Americans, even the ones that supported him, to congratulate Obama and wish him the best of luck. I also appreciated the thanks that McCain gave to all of his supporters. Even though he wanted the outcome to be different, he was still very grateful of all of us who believed in him. "A lost election will never mean more to me than the privilege of your faith and friendship." This quote made me smile. I love how McCain wasn't angry that he lost, he was very calm and just wanted to wish Obama the best of luck.
"to not despair of our present difficulties, but to believe, always, in the promise and greatness of America, because nothing is inevitable here.
Americans never quit. We never surrender.
We never hide from history. We make history."
I think that this quote shows how optimistic McCain is. He knows that we will never stop fighting for what we believe in and he knows that everyone can make a difference.
Even thought McCain lost the election, I think that he was very classy with his speech. He let everyone know that Obama will be a great president and that he will do his best to help our country. This speech was amazing, even though I wish he could have been saying his acceptance speech.

1 comment:

Ms. Roehl said...

I also like McCain's concession speech. Today I read Barack's acceptance speech. Although I watched Barack give the speech live, I caught things I missed when I read the speech.