Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Outside Reading #6

"Why didn't he say goodbye? I gave myself a bruise. Why didn't he say "I love you"?" (Foer 207)
This quote is after Oskar listened to a message that his dad had left when the twin towers were hit. Oskar wonders why his dad didn't say goodbye and why he doesn't say I love you. He also wonders why his dad left be hind this strange key. This is something that happens to many of us; we lose a loved one and we begin to wonder why they did certain things or why they ended up where they did. We will never be able to understand why people do the things they do. We can't explain someone else's life because we don't know what was going on inside their head at all times. I think that many of us read to much into things. For example, Oskar keeps reading into his dad's messages and trying to find hidden meanings. This isn't going to help us get over the lose of a loved one, it is just going to drag us down. I think that people try to figure out the life and actions of a loved one because they don't want to let them go. I think that people are afraid that if they aren't constantly thinking about them, that they will forget all of the memories that they shared together. But, I think that if people just remembered the good times that were without mystery or question, then they will remember the person in a better light. I do not think that it is good to question yourself about why a person does this because you will never know of you are right, so you might as well leave it alone and remember the good times.

No comments: