Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Outside Reading #2

“Even if it was relatively insignificant, it was something and I needed to do something, like sharks who die if they don’t swim, which I know” (Foer 87). This quote is in a section of the book when the characters are talking about how anything you do changes history, no matter how small the change may be. I think this quote is important because many people feel that if they aren’t changing the world, then they aren’t doing anything important, but that is not true. Everything that we do makes a difference. For example, if your family recycles, you are helping the planet. You aren’t completely changing the earth because not everyone recycles, but you are still doing something to help. I think that this quote really makes people think about their life and their goals. I feel that if everyone knew that everything that they did had an impact on history that more people would strive to do bigger and better things. Another quote that supports this is, “If you hadn’t don’t it, human history would have been one way…””Uh-huh?” ”But you did do t, so…” I stood one my bed, pointed my fingers at the fake stars, and screamed: “I changes the course of human history” (Foer 86). The example in the book was about how if you moved one grain of sand in the Sahara Desert, would it really make a difference? Well, how will we ever know? We don’t know what would have happened if you hadn’t moved that grain of sand. Foer does a good job of getting into the deeper questions that people have about life, throughout this book.

No comments: